Spring/ Maroon Settlement
Cattawood Springs was originally a Maroon settlement in the parish. Its name probably derives from the Twi word katá which means to cover conceal or protect. The original inhabitants left Cattawood in 1730 to join up with Cudjoe in Clarendon Parish. Firstly, a group of one hundred men, women and children went to join Cudjoe, and then the rest of community followed suit in small groups. They retained their name subsequently settling in Cotterwood in Saint Elizabeth Parish.