The Buff Bay River Estate was owned by the Hossack family during the period of plantation enslavement. The property was established as a sugar estate from the early 19th century. However, these activities ceased by the mid-nineteenth century with the economic crunch that faced many sugar estates on the island. By 1872 the property was sold and it became the site of what was to be a model school that was established with the Charles Merrick Trust.
The school was attended principally by the children of the Charles Town Maroons. The property changed ownership again in the 20th century. Oral sources confirm that at this time the proprietor of the estate was Mr. Benbow an Englishman who prior to becoming the proprietor of the Buff Bay River Estate and two other properties in St. Mary sold course salt and herring at the Annatto Bay market.
Check out the latest thats happening in Jamaica! From events, restaurants, meetups, bars, and more.